Fuel the discoveries that change the world
The issues facing society today are complex — and so are their solutions. Addressing these challenges takes teams of people working collaboratively, and Northwestern has built a special academic climate where faculty and students reach across departments and schools to advance knowledge. More than 90 school-based centers and 24 University research centers support interdisciplinary research that draws on our considerable breadth and depth of expertise.
Gifts to Northwestern provide funds for research, state-of-the-art equipment and space, and support for the undergraduates, graduate students, and postdoctoral fellows playing crucial roles in this important work.
Your support can help us meet these critical needs in areas where we can make the greatest impact:
- Center for Interdisciplinary Exploration and Research in Astrophysics (CIERA), promoting education and research into topics like black holes and habitable planets.
- Chemistry of Life Processes Institute (CLP), fostering multidisciplinary collaborations among scientists and clinicians to address the “big questions” underlying human health and disease.
- International Institute for Nanotechnology (IIN), a global leader in this branch of science and engineering poised to revolutionize fields from healthcare to energy to security.
- Institute for Policy Research (IPR), stimulating social science research on public policy issues such as social disparities and health; education; and poverty, race, and inequality.
- Institute for Sustainability and Energy at Northwestern (ISEN), a hub of transformational science, technology, education, and policy for sustainability and energy.
- Roberta Buffett Institute for Global Studies facilitating collaborative, interdisciplinary scholarship on crucial problems facing the world, from HIV/AIDS to forced migration.
- Program of African Studies (PAS), one of the most dynamic centers in the world for the study of Africa and its diaspora.